Yours Truly Doula Services - Vanessa Cory
Letter of Agreement Describing Doula (Labor Support) Services, Limits and Fees
As a birth doula, I accompany women in labor to help them have an emotionally safe and satisfying birth experience. I completed my training and certification through DONA International and Stillbirthday Academy, which allows me to attend your birth under their organizations. I draw on my professional training, knowledge and experience to provide emotional support, physical comfort and, as needed, help you decide what to communicate with the staff to make sure that you have the information you need to make decisions as they arise in labor. I can provide reassurance and perspective for you and your partner, make suggestions for labor progress, and help with relaxation, massage, positioning and other techniques for comfort. I am independent and self-employed. As your doula, I am working for you, not your caregiver or the hospital.
I will meet with you and your partner once in your home before labor to become better acquainted, to explore and discuss your priorities and any fears or concerns. We will go over your birth plan or put one in place if you haven't already. We'll plan how we will work best together as well as practice breathing and relaxation techniques that will be useful during labor. More prenatal meetings can be scheduled for an additional fee.
I ask that you call (not text) when you think you are in labor, even if you are just feeling crampy, having bloody show, or do not yet need me. If I don't answer please call back in 5 minutes. This allows me to be fully ready to walk out the door as soon as you ask that I come to you. I can answer questions and make suggestions over the phone. We will decide if I should come to you immediately to begin providing support, or wait until further change. I usually need approximately one to one and a half (1-1.5) hours depending on traffic to get to you from the time you ask me to come. We will also decide where to meet - at your home, the hospital or the birth center. Except for extraordinary circumstances, I will remain with you throughout labor, birth and for two hours after delivery.
I remain with you for two (2) hours after birth, until you are comfortable and your family is ready for quiet time together. I can also help with initial breastfeeding if necessary. Twenty four (24) hours after you deliver I will follow up with you to see how you and baby are doing. Within one (1) week of your birth, I will visit you in your home for a postpartum visit where we will talk through your labor and delivery and I can answer any questions you may have. I can also help with breastfeeding if needed.
WHAT DOULAS DO NOT DO:
As a doula, I do not:
• Perform clinical tasks, such as blood pressure, fetal heart checks, vaginal exams, and others. I am there to provide only physical comfort and emotional support.
• Make decisions for you. I will help you get the information necessary to make an informed decision. I will also remind you if there is a departure from your birth plan.
• Speak to the staff on your behalf. I will discuss your concerns with you and suggest options, but you or your partner must speak directly to the clinical staff.
Your privacy is of my utmost concern. I will never share photos or private information including your baby's birth announcement or birth details without your permission. If you have any extraordinary privacy concerns, please be sure to write them down and share them with me (doula) at the prenatal meeting at your home.
My fee for the service described here is to be paid as follows:
- $400 non-refundable holding deposit. Once this is received with this signed contract, your due date will be reserved.
- Remaining $400 is due two (2) weeks before your due date.
- Checks are the preferred method of payment. Checks can be addressed and sent to Vanessa Cory, 1217 Catbird Drive, Little Elm, TX 75068, with "doula services" in the memo. (Other methods of payment can be accepted on a case by case basis.)
Additional fee terms:
**In the unlikely circumstance that I am unable to attend your birth, I will send a trusted backup doula. The remaining $400 paid will go directly to them.
**In the very unusual circumstance that myself or my backup doula are unable to attend:
• If the inability to attend your birth is due to my error, your full $400 deposit and the remaining $400 paid 2 weeks prior to your due date will be returned ($800 total).
• If failure to attend is due to circumstances beyond both parties' control, the remaining $400 paid 2 weeks prior to your due date will be returned, the $400 deposit will not be returned.
- If failure to attend is due to client or client’s partner not contacting me with adequate time, no refunds can be given.
Fees do not change based on birth outcome.
Please type your name and today's date below to indicate that you have read and accept the terms of this agreement.
Client's Full Name (this is your signature)
Client's Partner (this is your signature)
Email address (you will receive a copy of this agreement).