2019 YALSA Diversity Program Stipend
Memphis, TN, November 1-3, 2019
YALSA is seeking a diverse presenter from an underrepresented population to present a program about literacies (which includes a broader interpretation of literacy, beyond traditional reading - including but not limited to visual, digital, textual and technology literacy) or serving underserved teens.
YALSA’s goal is to create a just and equitable Symposium; and is seeking diverse presenters from underrepresented populations, including but not limited to race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, language, culture, national origin, age, disability status, ideology, religion, power differentiated groups and professional skills.
ALA has chosen to define “diversity” in all its complexity to recognize and honor the uniqueness of each ALA member, all members of our profession, and our very diverse communities. ALA believes that, to be inclusive, our association, profession, and society must recognize the inherent worth and dignity of every member of the community; involve and empower all members to participate and contribute; promote and sustain a sense of belonging; and value and practice respect for the talents, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of living of all members. Diversity is an important component of YALSA’s Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion goals; there are two equally important issues that the YALSA is committed to redressing on an institutional level: equity and inclusion.
Call for Program Proposals: A program will last approximately 60 minutes and will take place between 8am and 12pm on November 3, 2019.
• All session proposals must be received by August 1, 2019
• All applicants will be notified if their program was accepted or not the week of September 1, 2019.
• All presenters must register at the reduced presenter rate ($59) for the Symposium
• Before accepting the award, the recipient must become a member of YALSA/ALA or renew their membership. The stipend funds can be used to cover this cost.
• The stipend of up to $1,500 can be used to cover registration, travel, lodging, food costs, and the YALSA/ALA membership fee.
• Only one session proposal per person will be accepted.
• The program must be about literacies or serving underserved teens.
• For questions, please contact Nichole O’Connor at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1.800.545.2433 x4387