South Forty Student Guidelines and Liability Form
ALL STUDENTS AND PARENTS/LEGAL GUARDIANS - please read and complete any information requested, sign and submit to their riding instructor, Jason Cole or Amanda Cole Kohnen, at South Forty by your first lesson.
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY BEFORE SIGNING. SOUTH FORTY FARMS IS OWNED BY DIANE COLE, JASON COLE AND AMANDA COLE KOHNEN ARE INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS/RIDING INSTRUCTORS.
In the payment of a fee and the signing of this agreement, I, the following individual listed as "Student," and the parent or legal guardians thereof if a minor, do hereby voluntarily request and agree to participate in riding instruction as a student of Jason Cole or Amanda Cole Kohnen, riding on property named South Forty Farms, which is owned by Diane Cole.
This agreement shall be legally binding upon me, the registered student, and the parents and/or legal guardian's thereof (if minor). It shall be interpreted according to the laws of the State of Kentucky. If any clause, phrase or word is in conflict with state law, then that single part is null and void.
I UNDERSTAND THAT: Horseback riding is classified as RUGGED ADVENTURE RECREATIONAL SPORT ACTIVITY and there are numerous obvious and non-obvious inherent risks always present in such activity despite all safety precautions. I also understand that no riding horse is completely safe.
I UNDERSTAND THAT: The student rider is in primary control of the horse. The rider's safety largely depends upon his/her ability to carry out simple instructions, and his/her ability to remain balanced and calm both around and aboard the moving animal. .
I UNDERSTAND THAT: Jason Cole or Amanda Cole Kohnen, independent contractors/riding instructors, and by riding on property named South Forty Farms, which is owned by Diane Cole, are NOT responsible for total or partial acts, occurrences, or elements of nature that can scare a horse, cause it to fall, or react in some other unsafe way.
I UNDERSTAND THAT: In consideration of being permitted to use the equipment and/or tack owned by Jason Cole or Amanda Cole Kohnen, independent contractors/riding instructors, and by riding on property named South Forty Farms, which is owned by Diane Cole, I and my personal/legal representatives, guardians, assigns and acknowledges, agrees that he/she will inspect equipment and/or tack, and that his/her use of that equipment and/or tack constitutes an agreement that he/she finds and accepts such equipment and/or tack as being safe and reasonable suited for the purposes of its use.
Jason Cole or Amanda Cole Kohnen, independent contractors/riding instructors, and by Diane Cole, owner of South Forty Farms, that I must purchase and wear protective headgear (ASTM/SEI certified F 1163, equestrian riding helmet), and do understand that the wearing of such headgear while mounting, riding, dismounting, and otherwise being around horses may prevent or reduce the severity of some head injuries and even prevent death from happening as a result of a fall or other occurrence.
I AGREE THAT: Should medical treatment be required, I and/or my own accidental/medical insurance company shall pay for all such incurred expenses.
LIABILITY RELEASE & INDEMNIFICATION: I AGREE THAT: In consideration of Jason Cole or Amanda Cole Kohnen, independent contractors/riding instructors, and on property named South Forty Farms, which is owned by Diane Cole, allowing my participation in any equine activity, I, the student rider and the parent or legal guardian thereof, if minor, hereby:
1. Release, waive, discharge, hold harmless and covenants not to demand, sue or otherwise claim from Jason Cole or Amanda Cole Kohnen, independent contractors/riding instructors, and property named South Forty Farms, which is owned by Diane Cole, equine owner or leaser, (all herein collectively referred to as "Releasees") from all liability to the undersigned, his/her personal/legal representatives, guardians, next of kin, and assigns, for any and all loss or damage, and any claim or demands therefore on account of injury to the person or property or resulting in death of the undersigned, whether caused by the negligence of the Releasees or otherwise while the undersigned is in or upon restricted areas, and/or participating in any equine activity.
2. Agree to indemnify and to hold harmless the Releasees and each of them from any loss, liability, damage, or cost that they might incur due to the presence of the undersigned in or on the restricted area or in any way participating in any equine activity, whether caused by the negligence of the Releasees or otherwise.
3. Assumes full responsibility for and risk of bodily injury, death or property damage due to the negligence of Releasees or otherwise while in or on a restricted area and/or while participating in any equine activity.
1. Lessons are to be paid for one month in advance, at the first lesson of each month. Payments made after the 10th of each month will be charged a $10 late fee, payments made after the 20th of each month will be charges a $20 late fee.
2. ASTM/SEI certified F 1163, equestrian riding helmets must be worn when riding the horses. Within one month of starting lessons, all students must purchase their own helmets.
3. Wear shoes with a heel. No tennis shoes, dress shoes, or sandals may be worn when around horses. Boots with a light tread on the bottom and 1/4-1/2 inch heel are required.
4. Riders and Spectators - Do not yell, scream, rough-house around the horses. Please do not throw rocks, toys, or dirt onto the side of indoor arena, the noise can spook the horses. Please do not throw rocks, bounce balls, or rough-house in or around the barns.
5. Please do not feed the horses! There is a good chance you might get bitten.
6. Riders are NOT allowed to have or keep cell phones in their clothes or on their body during the lesson. We are not liable for any damage that may occur if a rider drops or damages it in any way while handling the horse or tending to the lesson. Phones may remain on the stairs of the barn, unless extenuating circumstances and previous discussion with instructor.
7. Please NO SMOKING anywhere on the farm grounds. No alcoholic beverages of any kind allowed on the premises.
8. We post “QUIET WEEKS” on certain weeks of the month, where we request no visitors at the lesson areas (usually the second and fourth week). Other weeks are open to family and friends.
9. A lesson will be excused for emergencies only. This includes sickness, death in the family, unexpected injury, etc. and given 24 hours notice if at all possible. These should be rare, and we, as the instructors will be the judge of their validity. Makeup lessons will be offered on Sundays within the month the absence occurred. If makeups are not scheduled within that month, the fee is not refundable.
10. For conflicts with special activities such as school programs, dental appointments, etc., you should call instructors cell phone number as soon as possible to discuss options. Make up lessons are offered on Sundays of the month the absence occurred. If a makeup is not scheduled within that time frame, the lesson fee is not refundable. If we do not receive 24 hours notice, a make up time will not be offered and fees will be charged.
11. Last minute cancellations (less than 24 hours notice), and “no shows” will be charged the full lesson fee for the unused time reserved for the student. This guideline also applies to make up lessons - if a make up lesson is a no-show, we will not offer another makeup option.
12. If a rider or their parents cancel a make up lesson for a non-emergency reason, an additional make up lesson time will not be offered and lesson fees will not be credited or returned.
13. If a rider misses more than three consecutive lessons without payment, their lesson time slot will go to another person. If riders should wish to discontinue lessons at any time, we require two weeks notice.
FOR ANY LESSON CANCELLATIONS, LEAVE A MESSAGE ON AMANDA OR JASON'S CELL PHONE 270-202-0284 (Amanda) or 270-202-6796 (Jason). We cannot always check email and will consider the cancellation a "no show" if we receive an email message on the day of the lesson.
14. We usually do not teach on the following holidays: New Years Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Years Eve. If riders should choose to not come to a lesson on a holiday other than those listed above, it is considered a non-emergency cancellation, lesson fees will be charged, and no make up is offered. Other holidays are decided upon closer to their actual date, and are dependent on family and horse showing activities.
15. We do have a building available for students to store their equipment in (ex. helmets, saddles, grooming supplies). All equipment left at South Forty must have owners name or initials on it somewhere and kept in a neat/tidy manner. If a student should quit lessons, their equipment will be held 60 days. After that time, they surrender ownership of the items, and we may move them out of the building to make room for other items.
16. With the indoor riding arena, we can ride through most weather situations. However, lessons can be postponed for lightning, thunder, or high winds. Please call to check with instructor on those days. If weather is severe 45 minutes prior to lesson, it is possible lessons will be canceled.
17. Any minor age sibling or friend of a student must stay with a legal adult at all times while at South Forty Farms. No minor is to be left unattended. They may not enter any pastures, or go into any private areas of South Forty Farms.
18. ALL guests at South Forty Farms are only allowed in the public areas of the farm. This means family and friends can visit and watch in the spectator area of the indoor riding arena, may watch lessons from the lane beside the outdoor arena (are not allowed in the center of any arenas), and may be in the "big barn" area.
No visitors are allowed into any yards of farm family, allowed past the outdoor dog kennels (which lead to smaller barn and main farm house), and no parents, siblings, or visitors are allowed in any pastures. This is for the safety of all, including the animals that depend on us to keep them safe and secure. If we find any guests in pastures or the smaller barn, we reserve the right to ask that guest to remain at their vehicle for the remainder of the visit.
Those students who own and board horses at South Forty are also to follow the guest/visitor rules. While a youth rider is allowed to take a parent or guardian into a pasture to help them catch the horse they own, no guests/visitors/siblings under the age of 18 are allowed in the pastures.
SIGNER STATEMENT OF AWARENESS
I/WE THE STUDENT RIDER, AND THE PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN THEREOF IF MINOR, THE UNDERSIGNED, HAVE READ AND DO UNDERSTAND THE FORGOING AGREEMENT, WARNINGS, RELEASE, AND ASSUMPTION OF RISK, AND HAS READ AND VOLUNTARILY SIGNS THIS AGREEMENT, AND FURTHER AGREES THAT NO ORAL REPRESENTATIONS, STATEMENTS, OR INDUCEMENTS APART FROM THE ABOVE WRITTEN AGREEMENT HAVE BEEN MADE BY ANY OF THE RELEASEES. THE UNDERSIGNED FURTHER ATTEST THAT ALL FACTS RELATED TO THE APPLICANT'S PHYSICAL CONDITION, EXPERIENCE, AND AGE ARE TRUE AND ACCURATE. IF ANY INFORMATION PROVIDED HEREIN CHANGES, THEN I/WE WILL IMMEDIATELY NOTIFY SOUTH FORTY FARMS OF SUCH CHANGE IN WRITING.
All riders and parents or legal guardians must sign below after reading this entire document.