Strengthening Communities Through Libraries Grant
ALSC will award twelve $5,000 Strengthening Communities Through Libraries minigrants to members in public libraries to support the out-of-school time programming of libraries. ALSC strongly encourages librarians who are currently collaborating with community partners to provide STEAM programming to children ages birth through 14 to apply. Out-of-school time includes summer breaks as well as before- and after- school times. Proposals may incorporate any combination of these out-of-school times.
ALSC is committed to diversity and inclusion. We strongly encourage submission of program proposals that demonstrate a compelling and clear plan to ensure cultural competence and inclusion.
Funds may be used to purchase books to be given to participants or added to collections, purchase program supplies, for program outreach and other activities as deemed appropriate.
Prior to completing this application, please ensure that your library is able to meet all of the requirements and is eligible to apply for this grant.
Applications are due by November 30 at 5:00 p.m. Central Standard Time. Grant recipients will be announced on or before December 16, 2016. A total of 12 grants of $5,000 each are available. ALSC librarians working in public library branches within a larger system are welcome to apply.
Please be sure to print a copy of your proposal for your files. It may be helpful to copy and paste your responses from a separate document.
Grant Eligibility Questions:
To be eligible to receive this grant, you must be able to answer “yes” to all of the following questions:
Are you currently a personal member of ALSC? To become an ALSC member
click here for more information
Is your library located within 20 miles of a Dollar General Store, distribution center, or corporate office? Find out using the
Dollar General Store Locator
Are you able to fulfill the requirements of this grant by June 1, 2017, including the submission of online reporting forms detailing the full expenditure of grant funds and analysis of program results?
Personal ALA Member Number
Address Line 2
State / Province / Region
Postal / Zip Code
Antigua and Barbuda
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Trinidad and Tobago
Bosnia and Herzegovina
United Arab Emirates
Papua New Guinea
Central African Republic
Democratic Republic of the Congo
Republic of the Congo
Sao Tome and Principe
United Republic of Tanzania
Country / Region
Please check the boxes to acknowledge the following statements:
I certify that I have read the grant requirements and that I am eligible and able to complete this grant.
I certify that to the best of my ability, all of the information I have provided in this application is truthful and accurate.
I have informed my supervisor of this application and have his/her full support.
Please answer the following questions thoughtfully and provide specific examples when possible. Your responses will be used by the selection panel to decide minigrant recipients.
1. Summarize your proposed Strengthening Communities Through Libraries program in 250 words or less.
2. Describe the outcomes you expect program participants to achieve by participating in your program. How will these outcomes be evaluated?
3. Describe the how science, technology, engineering, arts, and/or math learning will be incorporated into your program.
4. How many program sessions do you anticipate hosting between December 1, 2016 and June 1, 2017?
5. What is your total expected number of participants?
Check all ages of children you expect to serve.
6. List roles and responsibilities of the organizers and community partners involved.
7. Provide a basic timeline of how your program will be implemented.
8. Describe your outreach plan for this project. Include which partner organization(s) you will be working with and how they will help with programming and/or participant recruitment.
9. Briefly describe your experience implementing out-of-school time programming including summer reading and learning.
Please submit your budget for this project. Any dollar amount listed in the "other" category should be explained below. The grant will be awarded in the full amount of $5,000.
Books to be given to participants
Other materials to be given to participants
Books to be added to library's collection
Reusable materials to be used for this and future library programs
Promotion of programs
Please explain "other" category
(Optional) Upload separate detailed budget
How did you learn of this grant opportunity?
ALA.org press release or website
Dollar General press release
Word of mouth
Select multiple options by holding down the CTRL key
If "other", please describe.