Kalev Pugi Fund Application
** New **
* Women players under the age of 25 are eligible for a ~$450 scholarship. In order to be eligible, players must have a proof of admission from a post-secondary education institution (incl. University, Colleges, Cegep.) in Canada or abroad. The committee reserves the right not to attribute any scholarship depending on the number of applications. The awardee needs to attend the institution to receive her award. Current post-secondary students are not eligible.
* All criteria below apply to both the scholarship and Kalev Pugi Awards
-Participants have until August 15th to submit their application.
- Candidates must reside in Canada at the time of application.
- Candidates must be playing under the Canadian flag (as shown on the FIDE website).
- Candidates shall not receive a bursary two years in a row.
- Candidates must be aged under 18 years old as of July 1st (excepted for scholarship applicants)
- The application must be used to help offset travel costs associated with a chess competition. (excepted for scholarship applicants)
- The competition must have been held in the last 365 days (between July 1st 2021 and June 30 2022).
- Candidates must have played in at least 5 CFC rated games in the past 365 days.
- An online form will be made available during the application period. Applicants shall also be given the opportunity to apply through the CFC office.
- Bursaries will be allocated according to the following criteria :
o Player’s ranking for his/her age group
o Recent results and improvement
o Motivations to participate in the event
o Calibre of the event
o Title/norm possibilities
o Financial need
o Contribution to the chess community
- In the past, annual income of the Pugi Fund was divided to fund equal bursaries of roughly $300, awarded to different eligible Canadian players. The committee reserve the right to fund more/less bursaries depending on the applicant pool.
Player's first name
Other / Does not wish to answer
Are you applying for the women post-secondary scholarship and meet all criteria (including having a letter of admission from a post-secondary institution)?
CFC Regular Rating (as of July 1st, 2022)
FIDE Regular Rating (as of July 1st, 2022)
Any other relevant rating (please specify)
Details about the past tournament
NOTE: If applying for the scholarship only, enter "N/A" in the fields below
Event name and dates
Motivation to participate in this tournament
Were norms possible?
Do not know / N/A
For women scholarship applicants only. Join a proof of admission from the school (e.g. admission letter, portal screenshot, etc.).
Results and other comments