DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH - DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS
Reporting to the Cabinet Secretary and governor’s office, the Director of Communication serves as NMDOH’s chief communication officer and is a key member of the DOH senior leadership team. This position requires experience and knowledge with internal and external communication in addition to management/supervisor skills. The Communication Director serves as the key spokesperson, media contact and principal advisor to the DOH’s senior leadership team on communications-related matters to ensure all external and internal communications are accurate and in alignment with the department’s mission, vision, and communication plan. The Director of Communication leads the development and implementation of the DOH’s comprehensive communications strategy and public relations campaigns, and is also responsible for developing actionable crisis communications plans. The Communication Director will lead efforts to promote health and wellness in New Mexico. The Director of Communication is responsible for cultivating and enhancing meaningful relationships that will enable ongoing communication between the DOH and a wide variety of media outlets.
This brand ambassador and communications strategist will:
• Serve as chief spokesperson and public information officer for DOH by developing and disseminating all required public notices and messaging, and responding to media inquiries related to public health incidents and emergencies.
• Coordinates all aspects of the Commissioner of Health and agency leadership's public appearances, including the development of briefing documents, talking points, speeches, presentations, press outreach materials, and other logistical details.
• Oversees the development of a digital and social media communications program that drives engagement, advances DOH’s brand identity, amplifies DOH’s positive impact, and protects DOH’s reputation.
• Communicates DOH’s position on a variety of issues through high-quality media statements, press releases, media advisories, positive media pitches, opinion editorials, website copy, and other agency-related content.
• Provides communications support to DOH legislative affairs efforts.
Successful Candidate’s Qualifications/Skills:
• Proven track record of providing proactive leadership of the communications function in a complex organization with broad community visibility.
• Demonstrated experience counseling large organizations on communications strategy and responding to crises and high-profile incidents and events.
• Ability to lead the generation of online content that engages audience segments.
• Highly collaborative style and relationship builder with the finesse to manage by influence.
• Demonstrable creativity and documented experience in designing and implementing successful digital marketing campaigns with an emphasis on social media; an understanding of social media platforms and social media marketing; and best practices and Google analytics.
• Exceptional oral and written communication skills, with proven ability and experience in developing communications materials on complex issues for varied audiences.
• Demonstrated skill and comfort in the development, integration and implementation of a comprehensive communications strategy and broad range of public affairs activities; and
• Ability to oversee the active engagement, cultivation, and management of media relationships.
Education and Experience requirements:
• Bachelor's degree, in journalism, communications, public relations, marketing, or another communications-driven major with five or more years of experience in public relations, strategic communications, or federal/state issue advocacy campaign experience.
• Management skills and experience in leadership.
• Experience counseling executives and/or elected officials on communications matters and public relations strategies.
• Impeccable writing, editing, and presentation skills.
• Extensive experience in planning, writing, editing, and production of newsletters, press releases, annual reports and other print collateral.
• Media relations experience and established relationships with media and key influencers.
• Self-reliant, able to work independently, energetic, and good problem solver.