PDX Middle School Leadership Retreat App
We are looking for motivated 7th/8th grade students to join our Beyond Differences’ Middle School Leadership Program!
Turn in BOTH this application and the parent permission slip - electronically to Sheri Louis at firstname.lastname@example.org
- or by mail to Beyond Differences, 711 Grand Ave, Suite 200, San Rafael, CA 94901
(all at no cost)
● Attend both of the free (one day) retreats at The Kennedy School. The Fall Retreat is on Sunday, October 25, 2020 and the Winter Retreat is on Sunday, January 24, 2021.
● Learn social-emotional skills
● Training on public speaking and leadership
● Training on how to be an upstander
● Be mentored by high school students
● Meet other middle school leaders from all over Portland
● Be part of a national organization working to end social isolation!
Leadership students are required to participate in the following:
● Attend and lead all Beyond Differences meetings at your school
● Participate in both Beyond Differences retreats in October & January (one day-only)
● Plan and lead the following National Days:
-Know Your Classmates, October 2020
-No One Eats Alone, February 2021
-Be Kind Online, May 2021
Entering Grade for 2019-2020 School Year:
By signing below, you agree to the above list of requirements and responsibilities.
Answer the essay questions below.
1. Briefly explain why you would like to join Beyond Differences.
2. What experience either in or outside of school has influenced you to think about social
3. How comfortable are you with speaking in front of an audience?
4. What makes you want to learn to become a leader, and what leadership skills do you already have?
5. What leadership skills are you hoping to learn, and what are you hoping to learn about social isolation?