F: Delays or frustrations to delivery of service can happen. Events beyond everyone's control may cause a delay, but the goal is to minimise any delay for passengers.
The most likely potential situation is that the Captain Cook Highway gets closed (sometimes for several hours) if there is a traffic accident on the road. This can impact departures from Port Douglas to Cairns, and does happen from time to time. This is one of the reasons our business will always encourage passengers to have travel insurance for delays and frustrations beyond the normal course of business. Additionally we also try to work to a target of leaving Port Douglas 3 hours before scheduled flight departure to maximise our options in case of sudden road closure, and leave earlier for international flights. We also recommend passengers have the potential to leave earlier if needed, and be contactable on your mobile phone or email the day of your transfer if possible. For example if there is a road closure, shuttles can access Cairns via the inland highway via Mareeba which takes an extra hour (2 hours travel instead of 1 hour travel).
1. There are multiple events that could cause delays such as late or early flight arrivals. Our business always tries to monitor flights before you arrive in Cairns and before your departure from Port Douglas to help identify changes to any schedule. This includes shuttle drivers monitoring flights at Cairns airport where flights are indicated in real time as landed, on the block and then arrived. Drivers and shuttle companies liaise with drivers about flight arrivals and changes in traffic conditions.
2. Shuttle services may be affected by any pick up or drop off changes implemented by Cairns Airport, and these are beyond our control.
3. If, through circumstances not foreseeable and beyond our control, shuttles are delayed or unable to transfer you we cannot be responsible for any financial or material losses which may be incurred by passengers. This is an important reason why we recommend travel insurance for any passengers who may be affected by unforeseeable circumstances or events beyond our control which affect delivery of our service. Examples (but not limited to) of events beyond our control: accidents where the shuttle company vehicle has been directly or indirectly involved; delays caused by road closures, accidents, landslips or inundations on the Captain Cook Highway between Port Douglas and Cairns, or in and around Cairns affecting access to the airport; severe weather events or tropical cyclone; delays in traffic conditions preventing the shuttle company from getting to the airport or getting to the airport on time; and any other events of the nature described here.
4. If there are circumstances beyond the control of the shuttle service allocated to transfer you that result in the shuttle service being unable to transfer you we will seek to arrange alternative road transport for you at no additional cost. Alternative road transport does not mean helicopter, boat or any non road based transport.
5. For delays caused by circumstances within the control of the shuttle the maximum liability and remedy for any dispute regarding this transfer service is the cost of the transfer provided.
6. It is standard practice for shuttle companies to monitor incoming flights as planes can arrive early or late. The standard policy target is not to have passengers arriving on flights scheduled to arrive more than 20 minutes apart, on the same bus. Planes that arrive a few minutes late may mean a slightly longer wait for those passengers who have arrived on an earlier flight. We ask those passengers for patience on these occasions - as it could be your flight that is running a late or arriving early and nobody wants to be left stranded. If a severe plane delay is occurring, passengers on that flight will usually be transferred to the next available bus or we will make alternative arrangements for their transfer to minimise the waiting time at the airport. There may be an additional cost incurred.
7. After hours arrivals from significantly delayed standard hours arrivals: Bookings for standard hours transfers that arrive in after hours periods are subject to after hours rates and delivered as private transfer + $50 after hours driver surcharge. For example, a paid and confirmed shuttle booking to meet a flight arriving in the afternoon at 2pm cannot be automatically transferred to an after hours shuttle for arrivals after 7pm. Passengers are asked to please provide us with notice of the late arrival so that we can work with you on a remedy. We can transfer the value of your earlier booking towards your after hours arrival, and advise the difference in fare. After hours bookings are flat rate one way private transfer Cairns Airport to Port Douglas at $235 for 1-2 pax, $245 for 3-5 pax, and $360 for 6-13 pax which includes after hours drivers surcharge. (These prices subject to seasonal variation. Current prices are those on the private transfer booking form). If we cannot meet you for your standard hours arrival that ends up after hours arrival, and you elect not to pay after hours rates, we will refund the standard hours value to your credit card. If you have a private transfer booking which is significantly delayed into after hours time and we have no driver availability when your flight arrives, we will pay 100% of a taxi or Uber cost to Port Douglas. We will make this offer to you before you arrive. Simply keep the receipt and email to us. Thank you for your understanding. Airline delays can cause significant impacts for associated airport services (eg 11pm arrivals from flights scheduled in the middle of the day) outside our control and also outside our ability to deliver transfers due to WH&S issues including driver fatigue and safety issues. The remedies in this clause F(7) are intended to address these challenges to the benefit of our passengers.